Consequently, they started to just about explode out of the ground.
I picked one such daffodil bulb out of the ground, interested to see its root development.
Part of the problem was that I didn’t dig deep enough underneath and loosen the soil in the transplanting. When you go down a fair way you get to clay, which is not easy for plants to grow in. Lesson well-learned, I decided the quickest and easiest way to solve the problem this time round was to heap a 25 litre bag of potting mix over the top, and water it in.
As attractive as that looks, I knew that two-legged and four-legged animals may find it appealing also. Birds could dig into it looking for worms, or my darling cats might think it a special new outdoor kitty litter tray. To avoid such occurrences, I have covered it in a not-so-pretty, but practical way, to give the daffodils a chance to claim this patch of garden as their own.