We waited until we were able to afford exactly the garage we wanted. Perhaps in earlier years we could have built a carport, or even a single garage, but we did without until early April 1997, finally settling on a design that jutted out past the front of the house.
This allowed us to increase the area of the garage, with a double garage at the front, and almost a single garage-sized workshop and storage centre at the rear of the main garage next to the house.
Because we had waited so long for this garage, I insisted that we need to have a lovely arched window in the side, as it would be visible from the loungeroom. Not wanting to be outdone, my husband insisted on brick infill. What on earth was that? I discovered that he was talking about what would be above the garage door. Some cheaper garages have a timber infill. Classy ones like ours required a huge steel lintel above the door to hold up the bricks he desired. Who was I to argue? So I got my window, he got his brick infill, and we were both happy.
Posted in House and garden, Photography
- Tagged 1997, 366 days and 26 years in my garden, achievement, apprentice, arched window, brick infill, brickie, garage, garden photography, project 365
As owner-builders we got to lockup stage on our extension in record time. This was largely due to extensive planning by my very particular and precise husband, traits that at times can be annoying, and at others fantastic. This was one of the wonderful uses of his skills.
He utilised his annual leave for this project, so although he didn’t get much rest, it was a challenge and ultimately a great achievement.
Ah memories – looking at those nappies hanging on the line. What an eternity ago that seems now.It’s peculiar how the extension looks so small before the walls go up. Perhaps it’s because you can see all the land still left around it, especially since we have an extremely large block of almost 1/3 acre, or 1284 square metres. The extension consisted of two large bedrooms for the girls, plus a room in between which we called “the kids’ retreat.”
The concrete footings were poured, base brickwork and stumps done by the brickie, and the subfloor by my husband and his mate Peter. Now the frame was ready to go up!